Constructing MIME message without loading message stream

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Sun Aug 10 18:24:41 EDT 2008

Kris Kennaway schrieb:
> I would like to MIME encode a message from a large file without first
> disk (actually I am using encode_7or8bit, so the encoding should be
> null).  Is there a way to construct the flattened MIME message such that
> data is streamed from the file as needed instead of being resident in
> memory?  Do I have to subclass the MIMEBase class myself?

I don't know what you are after here - but I *do* know that anything
above 10MB or so is most probably not transferable using mail, as MTAs
impose limits on message-sizes. Or in other words: usually, whatever you
want to encode should fit in memory as the network is limiting you.

If you insist, I guess the stdlib isn't much of help - try implementing
a SMTP-server using twisted. But this is just a guess.

Diez