Hobbyist - Python vs. other languages

Enrico Franchi riko at despammed.com
Tue Aug 5 07:17:46 EDT 2008

<bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:

> A programming language is a tool to solve problems, so first of all:
> do you have problems to solve? You can create some visualizations,
> some program with GUI, some networked code to download things and
> process them, etc.

It's surprising how hard is this part. I quite like learning new
languages, and of course this has the same kind of problem: finding
problems to solve.

Moreover, if I *need* a program, I usually need it quickly, and so it is
wise to use a well known language (e.g., Python). That means that in
order to learn the practice of new languages I have to find problems
that are interesting enough to be solved (othewise I may not finish
them) *but* not too interesting.

--
-riko