Hobbyist - Python vs. other languages

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 08:01:22 EDT 2008

On Jul 31, 8:32 pm, fprintf <stuart.a.h... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since I don't have a specific problem to solve, besides
> Pythonchallenge (which I found very cryptic), and Project Euler (which
> I found beyond my mathematics skills), is there a place to go for
> increasingly difficult problems to solve? I have followed a number of
> the recommended online tutorials that contain a logical progression of
> problems and yet they all end at the point where a person has enough
> knowledge of the syntax, but not really enough to do anything.

Just today I saw this recipe on the cookbook, "TV-Series Current
Episode Info":
http://code.activestate.com/recipes/572193/
As you see, there are plenty of useful things you can do with a
programming language ;)
Another trivial example: I am keeping an electronic journal as a
Python script which checks today's date, create a file with that date
(if it does not exist already) and open it with Emacs. That's all. I
can search the journal with grep. Since I write the journal in rst
format I can publish it on the Web in HTML or print it in PDF. It
takes 20 minutes to write a script like that, and it working better
for my needs than any commercial application could. The biggest
feature is the absence of features: less is more.

 Michele Simionato