How to search the Python manuals

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch bj_666 at gmx.net
Sat Aug 23 17:20:42 EDT 2008

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 21:00:57 +0000, JBW wrote:

> It is much easier to find where to look if the documentation corpus has
> a proper index.  Since indexing is hard work that's effectively
> impossible to automate, I suspect Python's documentation is no better
> than many other open-source software projects.

I think the indexes of the documentation are quite good:

  http://docs.python.org/lib/genindex.html
  http://docs.python.org/ref/genindex.html

First occurance of "default" in the reference index leads to the
information about default parameters and that they are executed once,
when the ``def`` statement is executed:

  http://docs.python.org/ref/function.html#l2h-634

Ciao,
	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch