How to search the Python manuals

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Aug 23 21:18:23 EDT 2008

JBW wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 16:17:16 -0400, Terry Reedy instructs a procedure for
> locating the behavior of default function arguments:
>
>> -------------------------------------- For WinXP (I have no idea of how
>> the manuals works elsewhere):
>
> Windows is against my religion, so I may be completely off base here :)
>
>> <... snip prolonged clicky-clicky tap dance instructions. ...>
>
> The way I read it is that one has little trouble answering a question by
> reading the documentation if one knows *exactly* where to look.

Then you read wrong.  What my tap-dance instructions said were to find
the right *CHAPTER* (for upcoming 2.6/3.0) and use ^Find to find the
exact place.  If you don't know that def statements are compound
statements and not lexical analysis, data, expressions, or simple
statements, they you would profit from reading a bit more at the top of
each chapter.

tjr