Sharing common memory space (In form of List) across the python processes.

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Aug 1 16:55:17 EDT 2008

Piyush Chechani wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am working on a module where I need to share contents of a big List
> across the processes. I am using socket programming concept for this.
>
> My current processing for this is as follows: -
>         1. There is a server program S which loads the list in the
> memory, and listens on a particular port,
>         2. All the other programs which want to access that list sends a
> request on that server port,
>         3. Server sends the id of the memory loaded list element to the
> requesting process.
> Here I am getting a problem in the reverse function of id(), as my
> client should get the list object using its id but I don't know the
> python function for doing this.

There intentionally is no such function.  If by 'process', I believe you
should just send the object, which actually just sends an internal
reference to the object.  If you mean OS process, look into interprocess
communication.  3.0 has a new multiprocessing module that might help.
Or have your server perform manipulations on the object.