Teething troubles with Python on a Mac

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Aug 4 20:58:42 EDT 2008

Avinash Vora wrote:
> (Greg: You only sent the email to me: you probably wanted to add the
> mailing list to the recipients.)

I replied to the newsgroup as well, so it should
turn up in the list.

> Right, but I meant if there is an Apple-sanctioned way.  I guess not?

Not that I'm aware of.

> I guess I'll give it a shot, then.  Alias in bash to MacPython, I  assume?

You'll probably find that the MacPython installer has set
things up so that simply running "python" in the shell
will get the version it has installed. Check the version
number displayed in the banner when you run it.

If it's not the right one, you could make a symlink
from /usr/bin/python to the one you want (by default it's
symlinked to the system python).

--
Greg