Teething troubles with Python on a Mac

Avinash Vora avinashvora at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 03:25:20 EDT 2008

(Greg: You only sent the email to me: you probably wanted to add the
mailing list to the recipients.)

On Aug 4, 2008, at 8:37 AM, greg wrote:

> Avi wrote:
>
>> On that: how would I go about updating the system Python, then?
>
> The usual advice is not to try to do that at all.
> Generally it's best to treat anything in /System
> as off-limits.

Right, but I meant if there is an Apple-sanctioned way.  I guess not?

>> (I used to do so, but it
>> caused so many issues with installing new packages that I gave up on
>> it)
>
> I've very rarely had any problem with maintaining my
> own Python installation, but as I said, I always install
> packages using "python setup.py".

I guess I'll give it a shot, then.  Alias in bash to MacPython, I
assume?

> Python itself copes very well with having multiple
> versions installed, on all platforms, but you have to
> do things the Python way.

My point was that it seems to be a bit of a hack.

Thanks for the advice from everyone, though.

--
Avi