Is my thinking Pythonic?

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Tue Aug 26 06:29:41 EDT 2008

Fredrik Lundh a écrit :
> Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
>
>> Given the lack of proper support for the descriptor protocol in
>> old-style classes and a couple other diverging behaviors, I wouldn't
>> say that advising newcomers to use new-style classes is so pointless.
>
> Yeah, but if you don't need descriptors, new-style classes don't buy you
> anything

Except being python-3000 ready wrt/ diverging behavious - like
overriding __magic__ methods on a per-instance basis. Ok, this is
certainly not a very common case, but still we've seen questions about
this on this ng...

> (except a slight slowdown in certain situations).
> Dogmatic

"dogmatic" ???

> use
> of new-style classes (or any other "new" feature) isn't "pythonic".

You're right to quote the word "new" here - how many years since Python
grew a new object model explicitely intended to replace the original one ?