How to simulate packages?

Daniel daniel.watrous at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 12:04:51 EDT 2008

Hello,

I have a project that I've decided to split into packages in order to
organize my code better.  So what I have looks something like this

src
  -module1
    -mod1_file.py
  -module2
    -mod2_file.py

Everytime I run mod2_file.py I need to import mod1_file.py.  Right now
I'm using an ugly little thing to do my import (see below).  Isn't
there some python mechanism to handle packages?

import os, sys
# add packages to path then finish importing
for dir in ['module1','module2']:
    # how about this ugly thing to find adjacent directories for
imports
    sys.path.append('\\'.join(os.path.dirname(__file__).split('\\')
[:len(os.path.dirname(__file__).split('\\'))-1]) + "\\" + dir)

Any and all suggestions appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Daniel