benchmark

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 09:12:04 EDT 2008

On Aug 7, 8:08 pm, M8R-n7v... at mailinator.com wrote:
> Really how silly can it be when you suggest someone is taking a
> position and tweaking the benchmarks to prove a point [...]

I certainly didn't intend to suggest that you had tweaked -anything-
to prove your point.

I do, however, think there is little value in slavishly implementing
the same algorithm in different languages. To constrain a dynamic
language by what can be achieved in a static language seemed like such
an -amazingly- artificial constraint to me. That you're a fan of
Python makes such a decision even more confusing.

It's great that you saw value in Python enough to choose it for actual
project work. It's a shame you didn't endeavour to understand it well
enough before including it in your benchmark.

As for it being "disappointing", the real question is: has it been
disappointing for you in actual real-world code?

Honestly, performance benchmarks seem to be the dick size comparison
of programming languages.