benchmark

M8R-n7vorv at mailinator.com M8R-n7vorv at mailinator.com
Thu Aug 7 06:08:05 EDT 2008

On Aug 7, 12:44 pm, alex23 <wuwe... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> > In other words, about 20% of the time he measures is the time taken to
> > print junk to the screen.
>
> Which makes his claim that "all the console outputs have been removed
> so that the benchmarking activity is not interfered with by the IO
> overheads" somewhat confusing...he didn't notice the output? Wrote it
> off as a weird Python side-effect?

Gee, I really hope I am a little more capable than writing it off. And
answer your question bluntly no I did not notice the output because
there
wasn't any. Run a python program as "python filename.py" instead
of using the interactive console, and you will not get any output
except
exceptions or anything that your code explicitly spews out.

> I find his reluctance to entertain more idiomatic implementations
> particularly telling. It's seems he's less interested in actual
> performance comparisons and more into showing that writing static lang
> style code in dynamic langs is bad, which isn't really anything new to
> anyone anywhere, I would've thought.

I am reluctant to entertain more idiomatic implementations was in the
context of what to me made sense as a part of the exercise. I have
fully
and in great detail explained the rationale in the post itself.

> Benchmarks, IMO, are like statistics. You can tweak them to prove
> pretty much any position you already take.

How's this position of mine for starters :
http://blog.dhananjaynene.com/2008/06/whyhow-i-ended-up-selecting-python-for-my-latest-project/
? And if you are not sure, you could browse this as well :
http://blog.dhananjaynene.com/2008/07/presentation-contrasting-java-and-dynamic-languages/

Really how silly can it be when you suggest someone is taking a
position and tweaking the benchmarks to prove a point, when I am
actually quite enthusiastic about python, really like coding using it,
and it was disappointing to me just like to jack who started off this
thread that python did not do so well. In fact I would argue that it
wasn't entirely easy to actually publish the findings given the fact
that these would not have been the findings I would've been wished
for.

Cheers,
Dhananjay
http://blog.dhananjaynene.com