From Ruby to Python?

Michael Mabin d3vvnull at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 08:57:56 EDT 2008

I kind of went the other way.  I knew some Python and then learned Ruby.  I
found that the two languages were similar enough that I didn't really need a
Ruby for Python programmers help doc.  There's not much of a paradigm shift
(except for the whitespace and indentedness of Python) going from one to the
other.  Of course, I had done quite a bit of Perl too.

Ruby does have a little of the Perl spirit of 'There's More Than One Way to
Do It'. And you do need shift to Python's 'There's Only One Way To Do It'.

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 4:26 AM, Simon Mullis <simon at mullis.co.uk> wrote:

> In case anyone else has the same question:
>
> This has been very useful:  http://www.poromenos.org/tutorials/python
>
> Short, concise. Enough to get me going.
>
> SM
>
> 2008/8/13 Simon Mullis <simon at mullis.co.uk>
>
> Hi All,
>>
>> I just finally found 30 minutes to try and write some code in Python and
>> realized after a couple of minor syntactic false starts that I'd finished my
>> initial attempt without needing to refer to any documention... And after the
>> first few minutes I stopped noticing the whitespace thing that had scared me
>> off previously.  (Admittedly it's a very basic script using telnetlib to log
>> into a bunch of network devices via a few console servers and put the
>> results of some remote commands into a data-structure).
>>
>> So, after this initially promising start:
>>
>> Are there any good cheatsheets / guides for a Ruby programmer to learn
>> Python?
>>
>> I searched this list and couldn't find anything, and wasn't successful
>> with google either...
>>
>> Many thanks in advance,
>>
>> SM
>>
>> --