Any tips on Python web development on Mac OS

Tim Greening-Jackson zen167520_AT_zen_co_uk
Tue Aug 5 11:13:42 EDT 2008

Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
> Tim Greening-Jackson a écrit :
> (snip)
> You're not going to get anywhere without learning (x)html and css IMHO.
> Even using a "graphical" html editor like Dreamweaver requires having a
> good enough (IOW : being able to do it all by hand) knowledge of these
> languages.

Well, to be honest I do know rudimentary HTML and have been playing with
CSS by hand --- the only HTML editor I have is a public domain one
called Taco. I can put together the basic template for the website, and
use CSS to keep tuning the look and feel until it was right.

I have Apache/MySQL already running on my Mac, a fairly fast broadband
connection with a static IP address and a vanity domain to point at the
server. So I could serve it all from home.

> Depends on what your "site" is doing.

There are all *sorts* of things I would like it to do, but am not
dogmatic about any of them. For example, having various people being
able to login to it securely to shuttle files between ourselves would be
useful. As would webmail access. And various "robot" functionality...

The exercise is more to see what Python can do to help me develop
websites and get used to some sort of proper development framework,
rather than Apple iWeb which is superficially attractive but
fundamentally crippled and produces unreadable HTML.

> There are quite a couple other (and more recent) "html generator"
> packages. You may want to have a look at brevé:
> http://breve.twisty-industries.com/

Thanks. I'll take a look.