Tkinter and TableList - Registering alternative Cell widgets

lee.walczak at gmail.com lee.walczak at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 19:22:44 EDT 2008

Hi,

I hope someone can help here. I have made lots of progress
implementing a gui application which at present uses the TableList
python wrapper to interface with Tcl TableList implemention.

http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/TableListTileWrapper,
http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/TableListWrapper

I wish to change the default Cell Entry Widget ( for Editing ) to a
Combox Box. According the url below, I  can do this my obtaining the
BWidget Tcl library. I also obtained a python wrapper for this.

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActiveTcl/8.4/tablelist/tablelistBWidget.html#ComboBox

My problem is that I have to register the combobox widget with the
Tablelist before I can use it ( to replace the Entry widget). The
specific tcl command "tablelist::addBWidgetComboBox" in tcl syntax has
no real bearing here for me. As a namespace 'addBWidgetComboBox' does
not exist. IS this because I have installed Bwidget related packages
incorrectly?

I am not a software developer by profession so this may seem clear to
you guys. There is a real lack of python supporting documentation in
this area and I am really struggling. Is it possible that someone can
help explain the following:

1) Provide any help on the the installation locations of the python
wrappers , bwidget & tablelisttile. For the moment I have just placed
these in the lib/lib-tk folder for convenience.
2) Any help on the the placement of the Tcl package  (
http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/bwidget/) for Bwidget? The Tablelist is
working fine. Does it go in the same folder i.e. \tcl ? The py wrapper
filename is __init__ , can I rename this?
3) Provide any help on how to register the combobox into the Tablelist
so I can use it as an entry widget
4) Any links to this type of information that may help me resolve this
myself.

I appreciate any useful feedback in helping me resolve this "hurdle".
Please feel free to ask more questions if you require more
information.

Best Regards,

Lee Walczak