newb loop problem

Dave NunezD at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 00:58:37 EDT 2008

On Aug 13, 12:35 am, Larry Bates <larry.ba... at websafe.com`> wrote:
> Dave wrote:
> > Hey there, having a bit of problem iterating through lists before i go
> > on any further, here is
> > a snip of the script.
> > --
> > d = "a1 b1 c1 d1 e1 a2 b2 c2 d2 e2 a3 b3 c3 d3 e3 a4 b4 c4 d4 e4 a5 b5
> > c5 d5 e5"
> > inLst = d.split()
> > hitLst = []
>
> > hitNum = 0
> > stopCnt = 6 + hitNum
>
> > for i in range(hitNum,len(inLst), 1):
> >    if i == stopCnt: break
> >    hitLst.append(inLst[i])
>
> > print hitLst
> > --
> > $ python helper.py
> > ['a1', 'b1', 'c1', 'd1', 'e1', 'a2']
>
> > This works fine for my purposes, what I need is an outer loop that
> > goes through the original list again and appends my next request.
>
> > ie.
>
> > hitNum = 5
>
> > which will return:
>
> > ['a2', 'b2', 'c2', 'd2', 'e2', 'a3']
>
> > and append it to the previous one.
>
> > ie:
>
> > ['a1', 'b1', 'c1', 'd1', 'e1', 'a2']
> > ['a2', 'b2', 'c2', 'd2', 'e2', 'a3']
>
> > not really sure how to do this right now though, been trying several
> > methods with no good results.
>
> > btw, just creating lagged values (sort of shift registers) on the
> > incoming signal
>
> > Many thanks,
>
> > Dave
>
> Dave,
>
> You are going to need to supply us with more info to help.
>
> 1) Are you always going to want to get 6 elements from the list
> 2) Are you always going to want to step by 5 elements as your offset each time
> through the outer loop?
> 3) Is your requirement just to split inLst into equal length lists and append
> them together into a list?
>
> Depending on your answers this might be quite easy.
>
> -Larry

Hi Larry, well to answer your questions.

1) Are you always going to want to get 6 elements from the list

yes for this example, but this will change depending on the length of
the sig.
hitNum will be changing depending on what element I need to lag ie:

if hitNum = 1

['b1', 'c1', 'd1', 'e1', 'a2', 'b2']

so I will be lagging the b elements.

2) Are you always going to want to step by 5 elements as your offset
each time
through the outer loop?

I think I just answered this

3) Is your requirement just to split inLst into equal length lists and
append
them together into a list?

yes

Thanks for all your help,