You advice please

Ken Starks straton at lampsacos.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 13 11:32:06 EDT 2008

Hussein B wrote:
> Hey,
> I'm a Java/Java EE developer and I'm playing with Python these days.
> I like the Python language so much and I like its communities and the
> Django framework.
> My friends are about to open a Ruby/Rails shop and they are asking me
> to join them.
> I don't know what, sure I'm not leaving Java, but they are asking me
> to stop learning Python and concentrate on Ruby/Rails.
> The sad fact (at least to me), Ruby is getting a lot of attention
> these days.
> Why Python isn't getting this attention although is a much more mature
> language and it is used by many big, big names?
> And do I dare to say it is much more charming?
> What do you think of Ruby/Rails? do they worth learning and working
> with?
> Any way, I'm not leaving Python and I will try to study it every time
> I get a chance...
> Thanks.
On the whole, I think python gets more attention, but that doesn't
not mean you should ignore Ruby, at least to a 'dabble-in' level.
To me, the main reason for learning ruby is because it is the
scripting language for Google sketchup.

And now it looks as if I shall wish to learn another little language, at
least to 'dabble-in' level: Lua, because it is going to srcipt a new
variation in the TeX world.

But neither has a cat-in-hell's chance of replacing python anytime
soon, as far as I am concerned.