PIL (etc etc etc) on OS X

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Sat Aug 2 12:30:50 EDT 2008

> First, it occurred to me that I've got wxPython installed
> and it includes jpeg support. I don't suppose that means that
> wxPython has already put a libjpeg somewhere and I just
> need to tell PIL where it is?

I doubt it. You're probably better off building libjpeg yourself.

> Presumably jibjpeg needs to be unzipped into its own
> directory, or configure/make etc wouldn't be able to
> figure out what I want to make. Presumably that happens
> automatically when I unzip it.

Yes.

> Then after I do the configure/make/sudo make install will
> libjpeg automatically be in some standard place? If not,
> what's a good choice of standard place to put it, and
> how do I put it there? (If I start here then it will
> unzip to there, and then after I make it there it will
> be installed in this third place, which is where I want
> it.)

I think, by default, that it installs in /usr/local/lib. You can run
configure --help in the libjpeg directory and it will give you a rundown
of the various options, including where to install libjepg if you want a
different place.

> Thanks. Sorry to be so dumb - yes, it's perfectly reasonable
> for eff to assume that people using PIL are programmers.
> With a "new thing" in, say, Python I'd just try something
> and then figure out what to try next to make it work - I
> don't want to take that approach here lest I re-make
> part of Darwin or something. Once many years ago I
> learned a new thing: Attempting to run a sufficiently
> invalid DOS exe could cause physical damage to a hard
> drive... that wasn't the only thing I learned that day.

/usr/local is a good place to install stuff in a way that won't disrupt
your system. OS X/Darwin puts its system stuff in /usr/bin, /usr/lib,
and so on.

--Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer