PIL (etc etc etc) on OS X

David C. Ullrich dullrich at sprynet.com
Sat Aug 2 12:16:32 EDT 2008

>From the other reply it seems I may not need to worry
about any of this. Otoh I've had issues with pythonmac
versus OSX versions, etc, in the past. Just in case,
also in the spirit of that curious idea that learning
things is good:

First, it occurred to me that I've got wxPython installed
and it includes jpeg support. I don't suppose that means that
wxPython has already put a libjpeg somewhere and I just
need to tell PIL where it is?

Regardless, about your suggestions below (again,
any assertions here are really questions):

Presumably jibjpeg needs to be unzipped into its own
directory, or configure/make etc wouldn't be able to
figure out what I want to make. Presumably that happens
automatically when I unzip it.

Then after I do the configure/make/sudo make install will
libjpeg automatically be in some standard place? If not,
what's a good choice of standard place to put it, and
how do I put it there? (If I start here then it will
unzip to there, and then after I make it there it will
be installed in this third place, which is where I want
it.)

Thanks. Sorry to be so dumb - yes, it's perfectly reasonable
for eff to assume that people using PIL are programmers.
With a "new thing" in, say, Python I'd just try something
and then figure out what to try next to make it work - I
don't want to take that approach here lest I re-make
part of Darwin or something. Once many years ago I
learned a new thing: Attempting to run a sufficiently
invalid DOS exe could cause physical damage to a hard
drive... that wasn't the only thing I learned that day.

(Probably won't get back to this til Monday, btw, in
case you say something and I don't seem interested.)

DU.

--
David C. Ullrich