Function References

Lie Lie.1296 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 08:52:18 EDT 2008

On Aug 1, 6:35 am, "Diez B. Roggisch" <de... at nospam.web.de> wrote:
> squishywaf... at gmail.com schrieb:
>
> > On Jul 31, 10:47 am, "Diez B. Roggisch" <de... at nospam.web.de> wrote:
> >> I take the freedom to do so as I see fit - this is usenet...
>
> > Fine, then keep beating a dead horse by replying to this thread with
> > things that do nobody any good. It seems like there are a lot better
> > way to waste time, though.
>
> You mean like trying to wrap ones head around the rather simple Python C
> API, not getting a callback mechanism implemented?
>
> For the record: I've wrapped C-libs myself, including callbacks. Been
> there, done that, discovered (years later) cytpes, been there for good.
>
> > The Python/C API can get me back further without reliance on third-
> > party libraries than ctypes.
>
> You don't consider your own library a third party lib? And unless you're
> wrapping C++, you're opinion is as uninformed as it is wrong.
>
> > It also isn't subject to the quirks that
> > ctypes is on platforms other than Windows (the target application runs
> > on Windows, Mac, and eventually Linux once the original distributor
> > has drivers for the device). I'm not even sure ctypes could load the
> > lib/driver the distributor packaged.
>
> Oh please. I'm 98% working on linux & osx. ctypes does a great job on
> these platforms.
>
> Regarding your objections I can only say: whatever the python runtime
> can load because of the underlying ld, ctypes can load. simply because
> they are the same. If *that* was the actual cause of problems, we
> wouldn't even talk about callbacks here.
>
> > So really, I appreciate the option in ctypes, it's good stuff. But
> > it's not for this project.
>
> Stop finding lame excuses for not wanting to ditch the work you've done
> in favor of a easier solution. You like your code, you want to keep it,
> you want to discover the intricasies of the Python C API? Be my guest.
>
> But stop embarassing yourself inventing reasons like licensing or linker
> problems you don't support with any facts whatsoever.
>
> > Once again, the original question stands for anyone who has experience
> > with the Python/C API callbacks.
>
> You know what? Just for the fun of it, I'll take a stab at it.
>
>   It's easy: Create a "proxy-function" that matches the prototype of the
> c8allback which converts the passed arguments to python values using the
> C-api. Then call the registered python function using
> PyObject_CallFunction.
>
> Convert the return-value back to C, and return it.
>
> Make the function get the PyObject* for the call fetch from a global
> variable you set in the register-callback function, where you also
> register the proxy-function for the first time, or de-register if the
> passed value is None or such.
>
> Have fun.
>
> Diez

Zen's lesson for today:
THOU SHALT NOT MESS WITH ANY PYTHON'S SEMI-GODS, DEMI-GODS, AND
PYTHON'S GOD.

You're lucky Diez still want to help you with your attitude like that.
May I remind you that we here helps you for free in our free time, be
rude, especially to a frequent member, and you'll get what you deserve.