Learning curve for new database program with Python?

CM cmpython at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 01:05:33 EDT 2008

On Apr 5, 11:50 am, Jetus <stevegi... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a need for a database program. I downloaded the db2 from ibm,
> and reviewed some of the documentation.
>
> My question is, what is the easiest program for me to try to learn. I
> will be creating a database of about 25,000 records, it will be
> relational. I am a beginner Python programmer, and need a database
> solution that is easy to grasp. I played with sql,
> and found that very difficult, if not overly cumbersome.
>
> A database that could work with Django would be very interesting to
> look at as well..
>
> Any suggestions out there?

Re: Django...from the Django site:

"If you want to use Django with a database, which is probably the
case, you'll also need a database engine. PostgreSQL is recommended,
because we're PostgreSQL fans, and MySQL, SQLite 3, and Oracle are
also supported."

Those all use SQL, and really if you are using a relational database,
SQL is
pretty much what is used.  SQL has not struck me as difficult nor
cumbersome,
e.g., for a database table called "customers" that has a column
called
"name" and "city":

(in SQL):
SELECT name FROM customers WHERE city='Chicago'
(in partially shouted English):
"GIVE ME ALL THE names OF customers WHOSE CITY IS Chicago.")

or, in Python 2.5 if you import sqlite3:

import sqlite3
conn = sqlite3.connect('C:/Documents and Settings/user/Desktop/
somedatabase.db')
cur = conn.cursor()
cur.execute("SELECT name FROM customers WHERE city='Chicago'")

I've enjoyed using SQLite in Python, and there's some good
online documentation to help there.  And SQLite, Python, Django all
play well together, somehow, AFAIK.