Learning curve for new database program with Python?

CM cmpython at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 01:34:53 EDT 2008

On Apr 5, 11:50 am, Jetus <stevegi... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a need for a database program. I downloaded the db2 from ibm,
> and reviewed some of the documentation.
>
> My question is, what is the easiest program for me to try to learn. I
> will be creating a database of about 25,000 records, it will be
> relational. I am a beginner Python programmer, and need a database
> solution that is easy to grasp. I played with sql,
> and found that very difficult, if not overly cumbersome.
>
> A database that could work with Django would be very interesting to
> look at as well..
>
> Any suggestions out there?

>From the good people at Django:

"If you want to use Django with a database, which is probably the
case, you'll also need a database engine. PostgreSQL is recommended,
because we're PostgreSQL fans, and MySQL, SQLite 3, and Oracle are
also supported."

And if you want to make it a relational database, pretty much it's SQL
as the language.  And that's ok--it really is not hard at all, I
picked it up quick and I'm new to databases; it's rather like a
natural language.  I've had success with keeping things simple with
Python + SQLite--just import
sqlite3 and use Python code such as:

cur.execute("SELECT name FROM customers WHERE city='Chicago'")
See here:  http://docs.python.org/lib/module-sqlite3.html

Very straightforward.  Don't know how Django interacts with these two,
but probably quite well, or you could choose from the other database
management engines listed above.