py3k s***s

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Apr 15 01:13:19 EDT 2008

En Tue, 15 Apr 2008 01:30:05 -0300, Sverker Nilsson <sn at sncs.se> escribió:

> No one forces me, but sooner or later they will want a Python 3.0 and
> then a 3.1 whatever.

Welcome to the software industry!
If it isn't Python changing, it's the operating system, the processor
architecture, the network connectivity, whatever. Only very abstract and
generic applications may survive a long time without being affected by
changes in the environment. You choose to develop a very specific tool
tied to the specifics of memory management in Python (a really good idea,
btw), but unfortunately you'll have to adapt it to changes in the language.

> I don't want that fuzz. As about the C versions, I am not that
> worried. What's your point?

You said that a C program doesn't have to be changed when the
compiler/language changes, and I refuted that assertion.

> I just like want to write a program that will stay working. And maybe
> I can go on with something else hopefully than just compatibility
> fixes. They take some work afterall.
>
> It seems hard with Python. Esp. 2 -> 3

Bad luck, you just decided to write your program in the transition
phase... In a couple years, I think 3 will be reasonably as stable as 2.x
today.

--
Gabriel Genellina