Learning curve for new database program with Python?

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.net
Tue Apr 8 10:55:19 EDT 2008

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 23:06:23 -0700 (PDT)
CM <cmpython at gmail.com> wrote:
> You misunderstood me, but completely understandably.  I meant that
> a) the OP wanted to use Django, and so I was giving the word on the
> only database engines that would work with that and b) the OP wanted
> to use a relational database, and therefore would have to use SQL

While most database systems require SQL, the type of database and the
query language used are are not as tightly coupled as you imply.  I did
quite a bit of work in Progres DB in a 4GL that was not SQL although
SQL was an optional extra.  The original query language for PostgreSQL
and its predeccessor was QUEL, not SQL.   There are other examples.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL#Alternatives_to_SQL for some.

This is not to say that learning SQL is a bad idea.  It is certainly
the de facto standard today.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves