Learning curve for new database program with Python?

CM cmpython at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 02:06:23 EDT 2008

On Apr 7, 1:19 pm, "bruno.desthuilli... at gmail.com"
<bruno.desthuilli... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 avr, 07:34, CM <cmpyt... at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 5, 11:50 am, Jetus <stevegi... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I have a need for a database program. I downloaded the db2 from ibm,
> > > and reviewed some of the documentation.
>
> > > My question is, what is the easiest program for me to try to learn. I
> > > will be creating a database of about 25,000 records, it will be
> > > relational. I am a beginner Python programmer, and need a database
> > > solution that is easy to grasp. I played with sql,
> > > and found that very difficult, if not overly cumbersome.
>
> > > A database that could work with Django would be very interesting to
> > > look at as well..
>
> > > Any suggestions out there?
>
> > From the good people at Django:
>
> > "If you want to use Django with a database, which is probably the
> > case, you'll also need a database engine. PostgreSQL is recommended,
> > because we're PostgreSQL fans, and MySQL, SQLite 3, and Oracle are
> > also supported."
>
> > And if you want to make it a relational database,
>
> Err... I may totally misunderstand you here, but I've the strong
> impression that you missed the fact that the database systems
> mentionned above are all (so-called) relational dabatases.

You misunderstood me, but completely understandably.  I meant that
a) the OP wanted to use Django, and so I was giving the word on the
only database engines that would work with that and b) the OP wanted
to use a relational database, and therefore would have to use SQL
despite not wanting to.  But these two facts are completely connected,
and by leaving out that connection it seemed like those DBs weren't
relational.  It would have been better for me to have said:  "All of
these are relational databases, and, like any relational database
(which you want yours to be), they will require SQL."  Sorry for the
confusion.