object-relational mappers

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Thu Apr 3 09:56:44 EDT 2008

Marco Mariani wrote:
> Tim Golden wrote:
>
>> I've recently used Elixir and found it very useful for a small-scale
>> database with no more than a dozen tables, well-structured and
>> easily understood. I'd certainly use it again for anything like that
>> to save me writing what would amount to boilerplate SQL. But I'd
>> hate to imagine it in the context of my day job: a messy, organic
>> and sprawling SQL Server database with over 1,000 tables, let alone
>> views, procedures and so on.
>
> That's the scenario where the rest of SQLAlchemy (beyond Elixir, that
> is, and with reflection turned to 11) can do mucho bueno.

Well, true (and I've done good things with it) but, ultimately
if I need to write SQL I'll write SQL: that's what I'm paid for.
And no matter how good sa's generative queries are -- and they
are good -- I've been writing complex SQL queries for 15 years
and learning a more Pythonesque equivalent doesn't really seem
to offer me anything.

Not to take away from the achievements of SqlAlchemy: I'm just
not really the target market, I think.

TJG