First Python project - comments welcome!

Paul Scott pscott at uwc.ac.za
Mon Apr 7 07:35:58 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 07:05 -0400, Steve Holden wrote:

> The code looks pretty good to someone that doesn't know Gtk graphics.

Err, neither do I, so I guess that means its OK? :)

> 184: self.wTree2=gtk.glade.XML(globaldir+"podder.glade","serverdialogue")
>
> could really do with using os.path.join() if you want to be easily
> cross-platform. Similarly the other places you use globaldir+"...".

Ah, OK, will take that into cognisance. Main use of the application will
be on Ubuntu based laptops in lecture theatres, so I am not overly
concerned, however, in the interests of writing better code, and maybe
even making it useful to others outside of my project, I will try and
fix it up.

> At line 321 you loop while True over a Queue.Queue object until the
> QueueEmpty exception is raised, then break out of the loop. It would be
> easier to loop while not queue.empty(). I know the docs say that this
> function is not reliable due to multi-threading semantics, but I doubt
> it will make your program less responsive.

That class is not yet even implemented. I put that code in there to do
an upload progress bar for the XML-RPC call, but can't yet figure out
how to do it properly. That being said, I will take your notes into
consideration when I get to it. Thanks!

> You even put docstrings on your code. WEll done, you are going to enjoy
> Python.

Force of habit. :)

Thanks very much for your comments, I *really* appreciate it!

--Paul