py3k s***s

sjdevnull at yahoo.com sjdevnull at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 16 15:33:10 EDT 2008

On Apr 16, 2:52 pm, Aaron Watters <aaron.watt... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I disagree.  You can add lots of cool
> stuff without breaking the existing code base, mostly.
> For example the minor changes to the way ints will work will
> effect almost no programs.

Wow,   I'd venture that the division changes with ints are the only
thing I'm really concerned about breaking in 3.0, both because they're
more likely to slip by without being immediately noticed and because
they're likely to be foreign going forward for people used to C-style
integer division (ie most of the programmers in our office).  Even
them I don't see as a huge roadblock, but a "erase old ways of
thinking" bugaboo for a while.

But the rest of the changes are pretty obvious and well warned about
by 2to3 and the interpreter.