Python in High School

John Henry john106henry at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 3 20:04:53 EDT 2008

On Apr 3, 10:17 am, Stef Mientki <stef.mien... at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Well I doubt it's the visual environment that makes it more easy,
> >> color, shape and position can give some extra information though.
> >> I think apriori domain knowledge and flattness of information are of far
> >> more importance.
> >> The first issue is covered quit well by Robolab / Labview,
> >> but the second issue certainly is not.
> >> I'm right now working on a Labview like editor in Python,
> >> which does obey the demand for flatness of information.
> >> The first results can be seen here:http://oase.uci.kun.nl/~mientki/data_www/pylab_works/pw_animations_sc...
>
> >> cheers,
> >> Stef Mientki

> > What do you mean by flatness of information?
>
> What I mean is something like; all the information at a certain
> abstraction level is visible on one screen or one piece of paper,
> and not is available through multiple screen / multiple right-clicks
> etc. A wizard in general is an example of strong non-flatness of
> information  (try adding a mail-account in Thunderbird, this could
> easily be put on 1 page, which clearly would give a much better overview).
>
> cheers,
> Stef

In that sense, it would appear to me Robolab/Labview would do exactly
that.  Most of the programs I taught the kids to do fits on one
screen.

I think what you are doing is very interesting because Robolab does a
fair amount of what I am seeing from your screen shots (for simple
applications anyway).  One day when you finish with the program, may
be I can try it on my younger kid.