Unicode conversion problem (codec can't decode)

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Fri Apr 4 10:33:43 EDT 2008

> Almost there: use string-escape instead; it takes a byte string and
> returns another byte string in ASCII.

perfect.  Exactly what I wanted.  thank you so very much.

>> I really don't care about the character set used.  I'm looking for a
>> matched set
>> of operations that converts the string to a seven bits a form and back
>> to its
>> original form.
>
> Ok, string-escape should work. But which database are you using that can't
> handle 8bit strings?

I tripped over some bugs with pysqlite in terms of what it should and should not
accept as text.  Now that I've gotten through my particular "crisis" I need to
sit down and generate a test case so the problem can be fixed.

thanks again.

---eric

--
Speech-recognition in use.  It makes mistakes, I correct some.