Alternate indent proposal for python 3000

George Sakkis george.sakkis at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 12:08:27 EDT 2008

On Apr 20, 11:35 am, Eric Wertman <ewert... at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was considering putting together a proposal for an alternate block
> syntax for python, and I figured I'd post it here and see what the
> general reactions are.  I did some searching, and while I found a lot
> of tab vs space debates, I didn't see anything like what I'm thinking
> of, so forgive me if this is a very dead horse.

[with apologies to Monty Python]

This horse is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to
meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! THIS
IS AN EX-HORSE!!

:)

> Generally speaking, I like the current block scheme just fine.  I use
> python on a daily basis for system administration and text parsing
> tasks, and it works great for me.
>
> From time to time, though, I find myself needing a language for server-
> side includes in web pages.  Because of the need to indent (and
> terminate indents), python seems an awkward choice for this, and it's
> easy for me to see why php and perl are more popular choices for this
> kind of task.  Perhaps this is just my perception though.

Look into any of the dozen Python-based template engines that are
typically used for such tasks; they offer many more features than a
way to indent blocks.

George