Game design : Making computer play

John Bailey john_bailey at rochester.rr.com
Mon Apr 14 14:24:45 EDT 2008

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 00:13:56 -0700 (PDT), v4vijayakumar
<vijayakumar.subburaj at gmail.com> wrote:

>In computer based, two player, board games, how to make computer play?
>Are there any formal ways to _teach_ computer, to choose best possible
>move?
>
>I know this is kind of off-topic here. Please redirect me, if there
>are more appropriate newsgroup.
>
>Many thanks.

Sargon: A Computer Chess Program (Paperback)
by Dan Spracklen (Author), Kathe Spracklen (Author)
Search Amazon with that title.  Its available for under $20.

The Spracklen's book provides a concrete structure and model for a
computer program which attempts to look ahead, evaluating alternative
moves.  Unlike AI texts which obfuscate through abstraction, theirs is
quite clear even if you don't know Z80 assembly language.  By reading
their book (studying it might be a better phrase) I came to understand
the complexity and immensity of the task.

Good luck.

John