Pyserial - send and receive characters through linux serial port

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sat Apr 26 11:21:13 EDT 2008

On 2008-04-25, terry <itskrithika at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to send a character to '/dev/ttyS0' and expect the
> same character and upon receipt I want to send another
> character. I tired with Pyserial but in vain.

Pyserial works.  I've been using it almost daily for many
years.  Either your program is broken, your serial port is
broken, or the device connected to the serial port is broken.

> Test Set up:
>
> 1. Send '%' to serial port and make sure it reached the serial port.
> 2. Once confirmed, send another character.
>
> I tried with write and read methods in Pyserial but no luck.
>
> Can you help?

Ah yes, the problem is in line 89 of your program.

We've no way to help if you don't provide details. If you
really want help, write as small a program as possible that
exhibits the problem.  I'd like to emphasize _small_. The
larger the program the less likely people are to look at it,
and the less likely they are to find the problem if they do
look at it.

Much of the time the exercise of writing a small demo program
will lead you to the answer.  If not, then post it, along with
the output from the program that shows the problem.

Then we can tell you what you did wrong.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I'm also against
                                  at               BODY-SURFING!!