Finally had to plonk google gorups.

J. Cliff Dyer jcd at unc.edu
Wed Apr 16 14:27:26 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 10:49 -0700, Mike Driscoll wrote:
> On Apr 16, 12:40 pm, "D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <da... at druid.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:23:50 -0700 (PDT)
> >
> > Mike Driscoll <kyoso... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > My workplace doesn't offer NNTP, so there is no good way to browse
> > > c.l.py here. And I haven't been able to get NNTP to work from my home
> > > either.
> >
> > Hi Mike;
> >
> > I am half way to killing Google groups myself.  Your message, and
> > allother Google groups messages, is coloured so that I can evaluate how
> > much I will miss. So far it looks like it will make reading this group a
> > whole lot more pleasant and so I will probably kill them soon.
> >
> > There are alternatives.  I run an ISP <plug>http://www.Vex.Net/
> > </plug>that offers NNTP access to my shell users.  You can also receive
> > this group as a mailing list which is how I read it.  Google is not the
> > only option out there.
> >
> > --
> > D'Arcy J.M. Cain <da... at druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolveshttp://www.druid.net/darcy/               |  and a sheep voting on
> > +1 416 425 1212     (DoD#0082)    (eNTP)   |  what's for dinner.
>
> I don't think I like the email list idea all that much. I'm already on
> a number of them and they fill up my box like crazy. Besides that, in
> email format it's hard to follow the thread, so one moment I'm reading
> about the latest ding dong and the next is a response to a post from
> last week.

In any email client worth its salt, you can set up rules for
automatically moving new messages to different folders by matching
various criteria.

In Evolution this is as easy as right clicking on a message from the
list in your inbox, select "Create Rule From Message > Filter on Mailing
List", and then choose a folder to redirect to.

Reading by thread instead of by date is as easy as Ctrl-T on your inbox.

It isn't much different in Thunderbird.

--
Oook,
J. Cliff Dyer