Python 2.5 adoption

Thomas Bellman bellman at lysator.liu.se
Fri Apr 18 14:50:26 EDT 2008

John Nagle <nagle at animats.com> writes:

>     Desktop or server?

>     If server, check what the major Linux distros, like Fedora
> Core, are shipping with.

For server, you should probably rather look at distros like
RHEL/CentOS, Suse and Debian Stable.

For what it's worth, Fedora 8 has Python 2.5, RHEL 5 ships with
Python 2.4, and RHEL 4 has Python 2.3.  Suse and Debian, I don't
know.

>     Check major shared hosting providers to see what they're offering
> to their customers as standard.

I would expect that to often depend on what OS version they are
using.  And RHEL/CentOS 4 is still quite common, so if you want
to reach a large "customer base", make sure that your Python
programs work with Python 2.3.

--
Thomas Bellman,   Lysator Computer Club,   Linköping University,  Sweden
"Don't tell me I'm burning the candle at both ! bellman @ lysator.liu.se