I am worried about Python 3

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch bj_666 at gmx.net
Wed Apr 9 08:27:02 EDT 2008

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 05:04:20 -0700, jmDesktop wrote:

> If I continue in Python 2.5.x, am I making a mistake?  Is it really
> that different?

No it's still Python and most things you've learned with 2.x stay the same.

> Here is an excerpt that is causing me concern:
>
> Two new versions of the language are currently in development: version
> 2.6, which retains backwards compatibility with previous releases; and
> version 3.0, which breaks backwards compatibility to the extent that
> even that simplest of programs, the classic 'Hello, World', will no
> longer work in its current form.

Sounds a bit like FUD.  While it's true that the classic greeting will
break because the ``print`` statement turned into a `print()` function,
it's not a ground shaking change that makes all knowledge about 2.x
obsolete or radically changes the look of Python programs.

Old::

  print 'Hello World'

New::

  print('Hello World')

There will be a `2to3.py` program coming with Python 2.6 that tries to
convert most changes automatically.  You may have to change the 2.6 code
in a way that makes the automatic conversion possible but it is a
important goal for the Python developers to make the transition as smooth
as possible as far as I can tell.

Ciao,
	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch