I am worried about Python 3

jmDesktop needin4mation at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 08:04:20 EDT 2008

I am a new Python programmer.  I have always desired to learn Python,
but have never had the opportunity.  Recently this has changed, and I
have an opportunity to get away from the .NET framework.  I found
Django (and other web frameworks) and began my quest to learn.  I
started reading Dive Into Python and anything I could find and started
participating here in usenet.  Then I had to read this:

http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/nde/papers/teachpy3.html

I think that every time I start a new technology (to me) it is about
to change.  Yes, I know that is the nature of things, but I'm always
at the start of "something new."

If I continue in Python 2.5.x, am I making a mistake?  Is it really
that different?

Here is an excerpt that is causing me concern:

Two new versions of the language are currently in development: version
2.6, which retains backwards compatibility with previous releases; and
version 3.0, which breaks backwards compatibility to the extent that
even that simplest of programs, the classic 'Hello, World', will no
longer work in its current form.

It makes me feel like I am wasting my time and makes it difficult to
justify spending time on projects using 2.5.x and using it where I
work.