Any reliable obfurscator for Python 2.5

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Apr 20 14:49:33 EDT 2008

In article
<3eac67b4-da0a-4926-9ca4-942271513ad2 at 26g2000hsk.googlegroups.com>,
 sturlamolden <sturlamolden at yahoo.no> wrote:

> On Apr 20, 5:28 pm, JB Stern <notform... at sonic.net> wrote:
>
> > Curious Steve, how do you pay the rent and by what authority do you
> > speak for "The Python world"?  Your opinion couldn't be more wrong for
> > programmers like myself who live by the code they write (as opposed to
> > its support).
>

> Are you afraid to show the code to your customer? Are you afraid it
> will give you a bad reputatio? Are you worried about loosing future
> contracts? Is your code really that bad? Then you better keep it
> hidden from sight.
>
> If this is the case, my advice to you would be to find a different
> profession. Perhaps flipping burgers at McDonald's fits your talent?

Even if this were worded in a less rude manner, it would be a silly
argument.  For many businesses, keeping their source code secret is
important.  Whether you agree with their reasons or not, they feel it is
important to them.

Hiding your source code is not easy (perhaps impossible) in Python, for
reasons which have been covered at length on a regular basis in this forum.
If you only ship .pyc or .pyo files, there is still enough information
recoverable in the field that most businesses which want to keep their
source code hidden would feel excessively exposed.

Producing software is all about using tools.  Every tool has advantages and
disadvantages.  The key to using tools effectively is understanding what
those are and how they impact your business.  If you are lucky, you will
find a tool which meets your needs perfectly.  More often, you have to
weigh all the factors and make the best compromise you can.

If keeping your source code secret is of critical importance to your
business, then Python is probably the wrong tool to be using to write an
application that you're going to ship to customers.  If keeping your source
code secret is not important to you, that doesn't mean those who do
consider it important are stupid, or evil, or better suited for a career
spatially reorienting meat by-product patties at a popular restaurant
chain.  They just have different needs than you do.