How is GUI programming in Python?

Joe P. Cool joe.p.cool at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 15 18:28:31 EDT 2008

On 12 Apr., 03:34, baalbek <r... at bgoark.no> wrote:

> Delphi/Object Pascal simply sucks big time!

I disagree. Delphi/Object Pascal with the VCL (Visual Component
Library) is one
of the most sophisticated IDEs ever, even better than Qt IMO. The only
drawback
is that it is Windows only.

> No real control of your GUI design with Delphi, just a lot of point and
> click

Wrong. It does have a GUI builder - a very good one - and you can do
point and
click creation of GUIs (nothing wrong with that) but you can also do
pure text
editor code only programming with it.

> (did anyone mention waste of one's life?), and don't get me started on that
> primitive, complete utter waste of language called Object Pascal!

I'm no big Pascal fan either but Object Pascal has a decent string
library and
better container literals than C/C++ and Java. The language itself is
a matter
of taste and I don't waste my time discussing it.

> Python/wxPython/Glade == real programmer's toolkit
>
> Object Pascal/Delphi == the hobbyist/beginner's toolkit

I'm pretty sure that there are more professional software products
written in Delphi than in wxPython.