text adventure game problem

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 20:25:35 EDT 2008

On Apr 10, 2:20 pm, Tommy Nordgren <tommy.nordg... at comhem.se> wrote:
> On 9 apr 2008, at 03.01, corvettecra... at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > okay, I'm having this one problem with a text adventure game. It's
> > kind of hard to explain, but I'll do my best.
> > [code]
>
> > def prompt_kitchen():
> >    global gold
>
>         Python is not a suitable language for Text Adventure Development.

Ridiculous.

> You should use one of the several excellent free text adventure
> languages instead.
> In particular languages like TADS (The text adventure development
> system) have strong
> built-in support for the tricky command parsing.

There are many good reasons why someone might want to use a general
purpose language like Python to write a text adventure, such as so
they're not stuck with a quasi hack of a language if they have to do
something that doesn't fit the framework anticipated by the language
designer.

Carl Banks