diffing and uniqing directories

castironpi at gmail.com castironpi at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 15:31:50 EDT 2008

On Apr 26, 1:14 pm, "Rustom Mody" <rustompm... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Over years Ive collected tgz's of my directories. I would like to diff
> and uniq them
>
> Now I guess it would be quite simple to write a script that does a
> walk or find through a pair of directory trees, makes a SHA1 of each
> file and then sorts out the files whose SHA1s are the same/different.
> What is more difficult for me to do is to write a visual/gui tool to
> help me do this.
>
> I would guess that someone in the python world must have already done
> it [The alternative is to use some of the tools that come with version
> control systems like git. But if I knew more about that option I would
> not be stuck with tgzs in the first place ;-)]
>
> So if there is such software known please let me know.
>
> PS Also with the spam flood that has hit the python list I dont know
> if this mail is being read at all or Ive fallen off the list!

I don't want to give you advice; there is profit in diversity, so
telling you what I use could negatively unify the diverse group.

In another language I know, and I pause to defer to the old and wise
on that, Visual Basic (known to make money), certain counterparts like
Visual Basic for Applications allow construction of scripts in the
owner's other suites.  That is, you can write Basic snippets in Excel,
Access, and so on.  That's one benefit that private ownership leaves,
but not everyone is sold on my country's currency/localcy.  Perhaps
it's in the future of version control systems.  Of course,
standardization of sufficiency to succeed comes from currency too:
success isn't success if it isn't current, per se.

Do you have any interest in contributing your mind or hands to
developing a solid gui framework?  Join a team.