diffing and uniqing directories

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 14:14:17 EDT 2008

Over years Ive collected tgz's of my directories. I would like to diff
and uniq them

Now I guess it would be quite simple to write a script that does a
walk or find through a pair of directory trees, makes a SHA1 of each
file and then sorts out the files whose SHA1s are the same/different.
What is more difficult for me to do is to write a visual/gui tool to
help me do this.

I would guess that someone in the python world must have already done
it [The alternative is to use some of the tools that come with version
control systems like git. But if I knew more about that option I would
not be stuck with tgzs in the first place ;-)]

So if there is such software known please let me know.

PS Also with the spam flood that has hit the python list I dont know
if this mail is being read at all or Ive fallen off the list!