Does Python 2.5.2's embedded SQLite support full text searching?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Tue Apr 22 08:27:34 EDT 2008

Daniel Fetchinson schrieb:
>> Does Python 2.5.2's embedded SQLite support full text searching?
>>
>> Any recommendations on a source where one can find out which SQLite
>> features are enabled/disabled in each release of Python? I'm trying to
>> figure out what's available in 2.5.2 as well as what to expect in 2.6
>> and 3.0.
>
> Sqlite itself is not distributed with python. Only a python db api
> compliant wrapper is part of the python stdlib and as such it is
> completely independent of the sqlite build. In other words, if your
> sqlite build supports full text searching you can use it through the
> python sqlite wrapper (that is part of the stdlib) and if it doesn't
> then not. This is true for any sqlite feature though.
>
> So if you need an sqlite feature just go ahead and build your own
> sqlite with that feature enabled and use that feature with the stock
> python sqlite wrapper that comes with the stdlib.

I doubt that. This would mean that Python comes with a mechanism to
dynamically load different libs for the same module, opening a buttload
full of error-conditions regarding library versions & changing semantics
depending on system configuration.

Instead, the sqlite standard lib comes with its own version of sqlite.
If you want something other, you need to

  - install sqlite on your system, including library & headers
  - compile the pysqlite extension module

it will be available in a different module path to prevent confusion.

THe same is true for ElementTree, btw.

Diez