Troubleshooting installing new package

Gheorghe Postelnicu gheorghe.postelnicu at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 14:10:26 EDT 2007

Hi,

I have Python 2.5 installed on WinXP and I am trying to install a new
package. I ran the setup.py build and I get the following message:

C:\packages\reedsolomon-0.1>setup.py build
running build
running build_ext
error: Python was built with Visual Studio 2003;
extensions must be built with a compiler than can generate compatible binaries.
Visual Studio 2003 was not found on this system. If you have Cygwin installed,
you can try compiling with MingW32, by passing "-c mingw32" to setup.py.

I have Visual Studio 2005 Express (the free one) installed. Is there a
way to specify an option to compile using that version of the
compiler?

Sorry for the silly question and thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions!
--
Gheorghe Postelnicu, PhD
MGH, Harvard Medical School