Troubleshooting installing new package

nickel_and_dime_2death at yahoo.com nickel_and_dime_2death at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 03:14:24 EDT 2007

On Sep 13, 8:10 pm, "Gheorghe Postelnicu"
<gheorghe.posteln... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have Python 2.5 installed on WinXP and I am trying to install a new
> package. I ran thesetup.pybuild and I get the following message:
>
> C:\packages\reedsolomon-0.1>setup.pybuild
> running build
> running build_ext
> error: Python was built with Visual Studio 2003;
> extensions must be built with a compiler than can generate compatible binaries.
> Visual Studio 2003 was not found on this system. If you have Cygwin installed,
> you can try compiling with MingW32, by passing "-c mingw32" tosetup.py.
>
> I have Visual Studio 2005 Express (the free one) installed. Is there a
> way to specify an option to compile using that version of the
> compiler?
>
> Sorry for the silly question and thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions!
> --
> Gheorghe Postelnicu, PhD
> MGH, Harvard Medical School

Hello, newbee here. I was looking for other solutions to other
problems. However, in my research for building wxPython I read from
the docs/build.html concerning the WIN crowd ...
--
[quote] If you woudl rather use a different version of VisualStudio
keep in mind that you'll also have to build Python and any other

So... did you build your Python2.5?? or did you install the binaries??
It makes a big difference.