Speed of Python

wang frank fw3 at hotmail.co.jp
Fri Sep 7 12:42:42 EDT 2007

Hi,

While comparing the speed of octave and matlab, I decided to do a similar
test for python and matlab. The result shows that python is slower than
matlab by a factor of 5. It is not bad since octave is about 30 time slower
than matlab.

Here is the result in matlab:
Elapsed time is 0.015389 seconds.

and in Python:
>>> t=timeit.Timer("bench1.bench1(10)","import bench1")
>>> t.repeat(1,1)
[0.071012377266015392]

Here is the bench1.py:
import math
def bench1(n):
	for i in range(n):
		for j in range(1000):
			m=j+1
			z=math.log(m)
			z1=math.log(m+1)
			z2=math.log(m+2)
			z3=math.log(m+3)
			z4=math.log(m+4)
			z5=math.log(m+5)
			z6=math.log(m+6)
			z7=math.log(m+7)
			z8=math.log(m+8)
			z9=math.log(m+9)
	return z9

Is my conclusion correct that Python is slower than matlab? Are there any
way to speed it up? It seems Python automatically created bench1.pyc. Does
Python automatically execute the bench1.pyc to speed it up?

Thanks

Frank