FCGI app reloading on every request

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Tue Sep 4 14:31:50 EDT 2007

Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> * John Nagle (Mon, 03 Sep 2007 21:26:01 -0700)
>
>>    I'm converting a web app from CGI to FCGI.  The application works fine
>>under FCGI, but it's being reloaded for every request, which makes FCGI
>>kind of pointless.  I wrote a little FCGI app which prints when the program is
>>loaded and when it gets a request.  And indeed, the program gets reloaded for
>>each HTTP request.  Something is probably misconfigured.  But what?
>>[...]
>>On the Python side, I'm using Python 2.5 on Linux, with Alan
>>Saddi's "fcgi.py" module.
>

> Do you use fcgi.py or flup? Go for flup

    I think that's irrelevant.  The Python app is being launched in
CGI mode, indicating trouble on the Apache side.

    Anything executable in the
cgi-bin directory is being launched as a CGI program.  A file
named "example.foo", if executable, will launch as a CGI program.
Nothing launches with FCGI.

    Tried putting this in the .htaccess file:

<Files *.fcgi>
SetHandler fcgid-script
Options ExecCGI
allow from all
</Files>

<Files *.foo>
ErrorDocument 403 "File type not supported."
</Files>

     Even with that, a ".foo" file gets executed as a CGI script,
and so does a ".fcgi" file.  It's an Apache configuration problem.

				John Nagle