Bug: spurious indentation error

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Sep 28 08:16:05 EDT 2007

Mridula Ramesh wrote:
> hi.
>
> is this the right place to report a bug?
>
> i had written this by mistake:
>    filemenu = Menu(menu) , bg="White")
>
> instead of
>   filemenu = Menu(menu, bg="Pink")
>
> and the compiler kept giving me an indentation error in a line much
> further down which was perfectly okay.
>
> i am using python 2.5.1 with IDLE 1.2.1 on a windows XP machine.
> anyone else struggling with the same thing, beware! :)
>
> -mridula.

This is probably a bug in your mind, not in the compiler ;-)

Without more detail (i.e. the complete code or a sizable and relevant
chunk of it, pkus the copied error message) it's impossible to say
exactly what was happening. However I am pretty confident that the
2.5.21 compiler will immediately report an unopened closing parenthesis
as a syntax error.

 >>> something = "abc".replace("c"), "d")
   File "<stdin>", line 1
     something = "abc".replace("c"), "d")
                                        ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

So, what was the problem again? Give us a little more detail,  please.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119

Sorry, the dog ate my .sigline