Automation and scheduling of FrontPage publishing using Python

andrew.arobert at gmail.com andrew.arobert at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 10:45:27 EDT 2007

On Sep 2, 4:22 pm, "andrew.arob... at gmail.com"
<andrew.arob... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 1, 10:48 pm, Jerry <jwe... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > andrew,
>
> > I would try looking into Windows automation with Python.http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+automation+pythonshouldget
> > you started.  The winGuiAuto package may help you out as it is like
> > have a human click and move throughout the interface.  The only
> > downside is that there is no recorder to help you build the script, so
> > I would try to do as much in VBA as you can (does FrontPage even
> > support VBA?) and then just write your python script to get through
> > the program enough to execute the macro.
>
> Yes.. Front page can be run by VB macro but I really did not want to
> go down that road if it could be avoided.
>
> This looks very promising.
>
> I've installed the module and run a couple of the basic examples..
>
> Very cool.

After a bit of patience, I was able to get this to work.

Still fine-tuning the process but the basic elements are there.

What is interesting is that once I submitted the proof-of-concept
code, management decided that they would like to see what other
companies are doing for this requirement and weigh the pros/cons of
this approach.