Python 3.0 migration plans?

Alex Martelli aleax at mac.com
Fri Sep 28 11:16:28 EDT 2007

John Nagle <nagle at animats.com> wrote:

> TheFlyingDutchman wrote:
> > It seems that Python 3 is more significant for what it removes than
> > what it adds.
> >
> > What are the additions that people find the most compelling?
>
>     I'd rather see Python 2.5 finished, so it just works.

And I'd rather see peace on Earth and goodwill among men than _either_
Python 3 or your cherished "finished" 2.5 -- the comparison and implied
tradeoff make about as much sense as yours.

> All the major third-party libraries working and available with
> working builds for all major platforms.  That working set
> of components in all the major distros used on servers.
> The major hosting companies having that up and running on
> their servers.  Windows installers that install a collection
> of components that all play well together.
>
>     That's what I mean by "working".

I.e., you mean tasks appropriate for maintainers of all the major
third-party libraries, distros, and hosting companies -- great, go
convince them, or go convince all warmongers on Earth to make peace if
you want an even harder tasks with even better potential impact on the
state of the world, then.

Alex